Scroll to top
Get Access Code.
Enter your email address and Crikey will send a Verification Code
Enter the Verification Code sent to
to confirm your account.
The Verification Code will expire in 1 hour.
Want some assistance?
Contact us on: email@example.com or call the hotline: +61 (03) 8623 9900.
The man was charged with using a carriage service ‘to threaten serious harm’ among other offences, a police spokesperson said.
A man from Sydney’s west has been arrested and charged for levelling threats at the ABC’s Stan Grant, who last week took leave as Q+A host following a torrent of racial abuse directed at him after his appearance on the ABC’s coronation coverage.
NSW Police arrested a 41-year-old man in Fairfield Heights on Wednesday evening, following investigations into a report filed with Sydney City Police Area Comm and just before midday on Tuesday alleging online threats made against Grant, police told Crikey in a statement.
“The man was taken to Fairfield Police Station where he was charged with use carriage to threaten serious harm and carriage service to menace/harass/offend,” a police spokesperson said. The man was granted bail and will appear in court next Wednesday.
Keep reading about attacks on Stan Grant…
Become a subscriber to get full access to the website, as well as our premium newsletters.
Already a subscriber? Log in to keep reading.
About the Author
John Buckley is a reporter at Crikey. He previously covered national affairs and politics at VICE, and his reporting has appeared in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, and The Washington Post, among other publications.
The Crikey comment section is members-only content. Please login to engage in the commentary.